Carbon Monoxide Monitoring & Testing

Carbon monoxide is a gas that occurs naturally in the environment. It’s colourless, odourless, and tasteless. When carbon monoxide is present in the environment, humans, animals and plants are unable to get oxygen because it displaces the oxygen particles in their cells.

This can be dangerous to our health because if we breathe too much of it too often, carbon monoxide has the potential to cause illness (unintentional poisoning) or death.

Carbon monoxide monitoring & testing can be done by Environmental Monitors.

Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms can be different because it is a very complicated substance. Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning will usually start to show themselves about 4 hours after exposure. The symptoms vary depending on the person and other factors such as their age, state of health and more. There are many symptoms to watch out for and they include: 

Dangers of Carbon Monoxide

Carbon monoxide can also cause severe damage to the heart and nervous system. The initial symptoms of CO poisoning are similar to flu or food poisoning, but if you have these symptoms when in a car or enclosed space, immediately seek medical attention.

Another reason for seeking immediate medical attention is if you have been in an area where carbon monoxide has been present and you are experiencing breathing difficulties, especially if your face or mouth is flushed (pink/red) or you pass out.

What to do if you suspect someone has been exposed to carbon monoxide poisoning?

The carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms will usually start to show themselves about 4 hours after the person is exposed. The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning can be different because it is a very complicated substance and the symptoms vary depending on the person and other factors such as their age, state of health and more.

There are many ways you can detect and prevent carbon monoxide poisoning and they include: installing detectors near potential sources of carbon monoxide, never running cars in closed garages, ventilating unventilated areas using fans, sealing cracks in your home’s foundation, pipes and vents.

If you suspect someone has been exposed to carbon monoxide then open as many doors as possible and leave the house or room that they’re in for 5 minutes or less.

How to protect yourself from carbon monoxide exposure in the home or workplace?

The first and most important step for protection from carbon monoxide poisoning is to install a detector. If you suspect someone has been exposed to carbon monoxide then open as many doors as possible and leave the house or room that they’re in for 5 minutes or less. 

Carbon Monoxide is measured in parts per million (ppm). 50ppm is far too high and can be considered fatal. The legal limit is 9ppm.

Next, always make sure you have adequate ventilation when using appliances such as gas stoves or furnaces. Finally, never run cars in closed garages and seal cracks around hot water heaters, pipes and vents with weather-striping caulk.

Tips for preventing a carbon monoixde leak in your home or workplace

There are a few ways in which you can prevent a carbon monoxide leak. These are the first and most important step for protection from carbon monoxide poisoning, always make sure you have adequate ventilation when using appliances such as gas stoves or furnaces.

Another thing you can do is install a detector and read it frequently. Make sure it never goes hire than the legal limit of 9 parts per million. If it does you should seek help immediately.

Finally, never run cars in closed garages and seal cracks around hot water heaters, pipes and vents with weather-striping caulk.

Get in touch today if you are concerned about carbon monoxide